Teach you how to build a WordPress website on GreenGeeks.
Have you ever thought about making a website yourself? How to start a WordPress Blog on GreenGeeks Hosting?
In fact, with the advancement of technology, it is now easier and easier to make a website. In fact, anyone can make a very beautiful website, whether it's a business website or a personal website.
Moreover, How do I install WordPress on GreenGeeks? How do I create a GreenGeeks website? All of these queries and I also ensure you do not need to know any HTML code or related complex system knowledge.
Next, I will learn with you how to build a WordPress website on GreenGeeks.
Choose WordPress as your website builder
There are many platforms out there that can be used to build a website without having to enter any code. Such platforms are WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, and many more.
Choosing the platform that works best for you can make the entire website-building process smoother and more fun. Maybe you want to build an online store, or maybe just a small business, or a small company website.
If you want to pass some valuable information to other network users, you can also build a blog stand-alone website or another website that mainly focuses on article content.
WordPress is the most popular website-building platform
The most popular website-building platform right now is WordPress. If you are new to website development, I recommend you use WordPress. WordPress is the easiest platform to get started with and the fastest website-building process.
Also, there are plenty of free and paid themes for WordPress that webmasters can choose to use to customize the look of their website.
And using WordPress to build a website requires almost no coding knowledge. Using existing themes and plugins, novices can build a new website in just a few minutes.
However, if you have some coding knowledge, you can also customize the site. It can be said that WordPress can satisfy all levels of website technology enthusiasts.
And because the popularity of WordPress is relatively wide, if you encounter some problems, you can directly query and search on the Internet, and users can easily find relevant WP tutorials.
Step 1: Choose GreenGeeks as your WordPress website host and register a domain name
Building a WordPress website generally requires two things, one is a website domain name (such as Google.com), and the other is a web host (a service provider that links your site to the Internet).
Here, painstakingly translated, we provide you with 2 reference articles to help you choose a website domain name and a suitable website hosting host:
- How to choose a website domain name;
- The best web hosting;
The best web hosting mentioned above refers to shared web hosting. This means that many websites share the same server.
If a website on a website occupies a lot of resources or there is a problem with the website, it is likely that other websites on the server cannot be accessed or logged in.
Therefore, the editor has also compiled some content related to managed hosting for your reference:
- The best cloud host;
- The best VPS host;
- The best independent host;
The website contains pictures, content, and various website folders, so we need to rent a web host to store the content of these websites. The web host is equivalent to an online hard drive.
Without a web host, our website would be impossible to find on the Internet, and it would be impossible for others to visit yours.
Having an independent website domain name is more professional than putting your own website on someone else's website (eg answersrates.com). And standalone domain names are cheap now too.
Having an independent domain name is equivalent to having an independent IP. The best way to build your own brand is to use an independent domain name. Next, we move to the trunk part.
Visit GreenGeeks and choose a hosting plan
After entering the GreenGeeks website, you will see the following page:
Next, you can select the red part in the picture above to view different plans, here we select the WordPress Hosting plan in the red box below, and click SEE PLANS.
Next, we can see the following screen appears:
As you can see, there are three package options, namely:
If you have a limited budget and are a personal blogger, I suggest you use the "Lite" package. The Lite plan is for websites with less traffic.
However, if what you want to do is an enterprise website with rich website content, including more videos, pictures, and audio, I suggest you use Pro or Premium. Two web hosts, Pro and Premium, can host multiple websites. But no matter which package you choose now, you can upgrade or downgrade in the future according to your actual needs. Here, we go ahead and click "GET STARTED" under the "Lite" package to continue to the next step.
Choosing a WordPress Website Domain Name
If you don't have a website domain name yet, you can register one. Here are a few tips for you:
- If you create an enterprise website or a business website, the website domain name should match the company name, such as company name.com
- If you are building a personal website, you can use the form of name.com, which also easy to create a personal IP.
In this blog post, I will use the domain name answersrates.com, because the domain name answersrates.com is already occupied by myself.
Website domain names come in many different suffixes, some are .com, some are .net, and some are .org. But in recent months, other domain extensions have emerged, such as .agency or .pizza.
I recommend choosing .com, .net, or .org as the domain name suffix unless another domain name is a perfect match for your service.
If you already have a domain name, you can directly enter your domain name in the input box on the right side of the picture above.
After entering the domain name, click Check Availability to check whether the domain name is already occupied. If it is not occupied, you will enter the GreenGeeks personal account creation page.
Fill in the GreenGeeks personal account
Now the page we are on is the personal account registration page. The first column is the account information page, let's take a look at the specific content.
Note: The options with * are required, other options also need to be filled in, the options with "(optional)" can be left blank.
- The first column is the email address, this column is required ;
- Enter your name here, for example, if your name is Muhiuddin Alam, you should fill in "Alam" here;
- Enter your surname here, according to Muhiuddin Alam's name, here should fill in "Alam";
- This column is the name of the company or enterprise;
- This column is to fill in the street address;
- This field is optional and is also the street address;
- This column is to fill in the city;
- This column is the province;
- This column is the country where you are located ;
- This column is to fill in the zip code;
- The following is the mobile phone contact information, if you are using a domestic mobile phone, first select (+1) in the font drop-down menu, and then fill in the mobile phone number;
Fill in the package information and payment information
Next, let's fill in the most important package information and payment information.
(1) The first column is to let you choose a package, you must be careful here because it involves the amount behind. There are a total of 4 options here:
Different service years correspond to different prices per month. If you are building a website with WordPress for the first time, I recommend that you use the annual subscription, which is the third option above.
If you plan to operate your website for a long time, you can choose to use the option:
- (1) (3-year term) or option 2 (2-year term);
- (2) The second option is the server address, there are three options, you can choose the United States, Canada, and Europe;
- (3) The third is a coupon, if you have one, you can fill it in, after all, you can save a little money;
- (4) The 4th and 5th options can be left unchanged;
- (5) Item 6 may not be selected. If checked, your personal information will not be displayed when users search for your domain name. This is mainly to protect personal privacy.
- (6) Next is the payment information. Most Chinese people do not have American Master cards or Visa cards, so we can click on the red 7-circle part (more payment options) to choose other payment methods. Then you can see the PayPal option appears.
- (7) Here we select the PayPal option, and then click Create Account & Get Started at the bottom to create an account and start building a website (then you can use the PayPal account to complete the payment).
Step Two: Install WordPress on GreenGeeks
Next, we need to install the WordPress program on the web host that has been purchased.
First, we need to log in to our account using the account and password provided in the email.
Manage GreenGeeks Account
After completing the payment, you will receive an email with the account and password required to log in to GreenGeeks.
You can also complete your GreenGeeks account login using the link provided in the email.
Login to cPanel
After logging in to our GreenGeeks personal account, you will enter the following page:
We can see that the location in the red part of the circle shows the login cPanel (control panel), we click here to log in to the control panel, and then we will see the following page:
cPanel can be used for a wide range of uses, including viewing website visit data, creating and managing website mailboxes, and many other things.
But we should first install WordPress on the web host, the software we use here is Softaculous.
We can directly enter Softaculous in the search bar at the top, or scroll the mouse wheel until we see the Software section, and then click Softaculous Apps Installer to install it, as shown below:
GreenGeeks WordPress Site Installation
Next, we proceed to the WordPress installation. Slide the mouse over the WordPress icon and click the Install button to install it.
The next part may seem complicated, but it is actually relatively simple because many options are already set by default. We just need to slide the mouse over to the Admin Account section.
We can see that the default username for this part of the administrator account is Admin, which is the administrator. If you want to make changes, you can make changes.
Next, we need to enter the password corresponding to the username, and then enter the Email Address.
But you must write down your username and password. Then slide the mouse to the bottom and enter the email address.
Finally, we click the Install button to install.
Next, we can see a message that contains "Congratulations", which means we have successfully installed WordPress on the web host. Next, we can personalize the website.
Step 3: Basic WordPress Site Setup
Next, what we are going to do is the most important but also the most basic WordPress site configuration.
Set up permalinks for the WordPress website
Permalinks are addresses, or URLs, that refer to a single web page.
The best format for a permalink is to include the WordPress page title. For example, a permalink (URL) to the "About" page of a website should be in the format https://ccc.com/about/. To set up permalinks, you need to follow Settings → Permalinks in the Dashboard in the backend of your WordPress site.
Authorized search engine retrieval website for WordPress website
In the background of the WordPress website control panel, users can set whether the website is retrieved by Google.
If you want to confirm that Google can retrieve WordPress site information, you can follow the steps in Settings → Reading.
Next, do not check "Suggest search engines not to index this site" for the time being.
Why not suggest that you tick it now? Because, in the process of building the website, there will be many modification records.
If we let Google crawl our website now, then these changes will undoubtedly be included, which will affect Google's inclusion of our website's content.
Wait until our website framework is complete before authorizing Google to crawl our website.
Step 4: WordPress Website Design
Through the above steps, we have successfully installed WordPress on the GreenGeeks web host we purchased.
Next, we need to design the appearance of the website and improve the function, which is designed into two parts of the theme and plugins of the WordPress website.
This section uses Munfarid, a blog theme that conforms to aesthetics, as an example to demonstrate.
Of course, there are plenty of free WordPress blog themes for you to choose from.
Install Munfarid theme
The Munfarid theme is a theme that conforms to the reading habits of people. It is a lightweight free and open-source theme, and it can also cooperate with other powerful plug-ins to enrich the functions of the blog website.
Let's take a look at the main features of this theme:
- Responsive design that works perfectly on computers, tablets,s, and mobile
- Custom website header image
- Built-in picture carousel function, similar to slideshow horizontal animation playback
- Footer one-click sharing widget, supports Twitter, and Facebook sharing
- Like function
- Blog post views statistics
- Comments support emoji comments
- Grayed out with one click (mainly for major memorial days)
- Support for ad image embedding
- The tipping function has been preset in advance
- Built-in various ad column widgets
- Powerful background customization function
- custom theme colors
- Support WordPress 3.5 and above, and perfectly support the latest WordPress
Download Munfarid theme
The source code of the Munfarid theme is stored on the world-famous Thousands of WordPress Themes, WordPress Plugins, and Elementor Template Kits Envato website.
Go to the Munfarid theme's download page and you'll see something like the image below:
Start installing the Munfarid theme
We next install the Munfarid theme. First, we log in to the background of our website. If you don't know how to enter the background login interface of the website, you can directly enter https://ccc.com/wp-admin/ (where ccc represents your domain name) in the search bar to the log-in page.
Then enter your username and website login password (you will also receive an email in your mailbox with the username and password to log in to the WordPress website).
After logging in to the background of the WordPress website, in the left column, follow the steps of Settings → General, as shown in the following figure:
The interface after clicking is as follows, and then set the content in the red box in the following figure:
- Here is the website name, for example, Baidu can be entered here;
- Here is generally the purpose, purpose, and general content of the website. According to Google, the description part can be written as "Google is the world's largest search engine";
- Here is the email address;
- Here is the member setting, you need to check the Anyone can register, which means that anyone can register on the website. Because if online users comment on your blog post, they need to enter their email address, which is convenient for website collection and sorting, and more convenient for customer service contact later.
- Next is the language setting. You can find the "Simplified English" option in the drop-down menu, and finally, click the Save Changes button to save the settings.
After the above operations, the background language of our WordPress website has been switched to English. Next, we install the Munfarid theme.
The operation steps are as follows, stop the mouse over the Appearance option, and then select the Theme button, that is, Appearance → Theme. Next, we enter the following screen.
Next, we operate in the order.
- Click to upload the theme, and the dialog boxes will appear;
- Click Select File, and then select the downloaded Munfarid theme;
- Click to install now;
- After the installation is complete, click the Enable button.
Note: Installing the theme will not delete previous blog posts, pages, or other existing content. You can then switch to other themes without worrying about losing content.
Munfarid theme basics
In this part, we mainly talk about the use and configuration of the home page template. The specific operations are as follows:
- First, go to Background -> Pages -> New Page, create a blank page, select "Home Template" under the template option of the page properties on the right, and then save it.
- Above-the-fold background setting: enter the image link in the text box, or click "Upload" to select an image in the media library;
- Above the fold size title: This part refers to the size title on the background image;
- Above the folding title: This refers to the title of the X-th screen;
- X Screen Introduction: Introduction text below the title;
- X-screen section: Fill in the category ID, and the latest 3 articles under the category will be displayed. If you need to display the fixed 3 articles, you can create a separate category for only 3 articles.
The category ID can be found in the article in the background of the website → category → click the edit of the selected category, and then we can find "&tag_id=x&..." in the URL of the edited page, where X is the category ID.
- X screen link: the jump link of the "View More" button, which can be set as a category page. Then go to the background, follow the Appearance → Themes → Settings Homepage Configuration tab. Here we configure the effect of the home page and save it.
Next, we still enter the background, follow the settings → read to operate, the home page display selects "a static page", and then we select the home page as the page we just created, and then we click to save the settings.
GreenGeeks WordPress site-building conclusion
After the above operations, your WordPress website already has the functions of knowledge payment and content monetization. This means that you can already charge readers directly for the content of your blog posts.
The reward function in the above knowledge payment and content monetization functions requires the theme of the website to support the reward link.
If your theme does not have this function, you can also consider installing the blog social sharing plug-in. This blog uses a third-party tipping plug-in.
In addition, among all web-hosting providers, SiteGround is also a web host comparable to GreenGeeks. You can refer to the blog post "How to Build a WordPress Website on SiteGround" to learn how to build a WordPress website on SiteGround.
Finally, I hope this article is helpful to you. If you like this article, you can also subscribe to the content on the website and share this with your colleague, friends, and family.